Sunday, March 11, 2012

A Pen Review: PaperMate InkJoy 300 RT 1.0mm

PaperMate was kind enough to send me one of their new InkJoy™ pens via Office Depot®.  There’s a lot of hype out there about these pens and already quite a few reviews.  I was especially happy that they sent me a purple model.  

PaperMate InkJoy 300 RT 1.0 mm - purple ink  (That red line
you see by the "RT" on the barrel is one I made.  I am attempting
to determine how long this ink lasts compared to other gel pens.)


Front and back of packaging

Inside of packaging
First impressions were good.  The pen is a beautiful color with a nice see-through barrel that has a faceted interior so that you get a gem like flash as you turn it around.  The grip at the front of the pen is the perfect blend of squish, hardness, and non-slip textures.  It is also placed well for my writing style – close to the tip.  The metal clip feels particularly sturdy and there is an overall solid feel to this pen.

To test this ink I started writing on a piece of Clairefontaine Triomphe paper.  It was a great combination of pen and paper.  The writing experience was delightful.  However it was when I tried the smear test that I had my first “uh-oh” moment.  Yes, being a blend of ballpoint and gel inks, it smeared. 
Clairefontaine Triomphe paper sample

Thinking that it was the paper’s surface, I pulled out an old pad of paper and tried writing on that.  It was not a good experience.  This is when the InkJoy pen showed it isn’t any better than a lot of the other pens out there: blobs of ink, skipping when drawing fast lines and smearing even on this porous paper.

Old paper sample.
So folks, on a scale of 1 to 5 with 1 being “ick” and 5 being “bliss”, I’d have to give this pen a 3.  Points awarded for being a good looking pen, great ink color, good hand feel and nice to use on good paper (for “righties” at least) but points taken away for being not performing well on regular paper.

Please note that I am not affiliated with PaperMate or Office Depot but was provided this sample in exchange for my review.