Sunday, September 4, 2011

Hello Again!

My apologies for not posting for awhile. Life has once more called my attention away so I've had to prioritize my time accordingly.

After being officially declared the hottest August on record for Phoenix, we gratefully tore off the calendar page and are looking at September's promise of cooler temperatures. So far the edge has been blunted somewhat and the light has a definite gold cast in it that tells me we've turned that corner. Autumn is on its way. And that is my all-time favorite time of year. To me, autumn, not spring, is the time to begin anew. I think it relates to the school year.

And since it is the beginning of a new school year and to deal with all the "stuff" going on in my life, I signed up for an online class with Sue Meyn, M.C. This particular class is hosted through Phoenix College, but Sue also has online classes of her own. (Check out Journal Magic for more information.) 

I have discovered that online classes are NOT the breeze I thought they would be. Oh, my heavens, no. They take a lot more time than face-to-face classes. Not only is there the homework, but you have to go into a class discussion area to "chat" with the other students. Then there are certain assignments that you post on the class blog. (I'll re-post them here, too, as they are a review of an article on writing and a book on writing.)

It turns out that my sister is also taking some classes right now, too. Becky lives in a small town outside of Houston, Texas. After raising her family and continually dealing with health problems from nearly every member of her family, she listened to her inner wisdom and at the age most women think of retiring, is working hard to earn a degree in nursing. I cannot be more proud of her. She is awesome! (I'll have to tell you about the resistance she faces from the faculty in another post. Seems they don't think an "old lady" can successfully complete the program. They don't know my sister!)

And the transition from marriage to singleness continues. Such a comedy of errors, let me tell you! Nothing is simple and if we don't laugh at it, we'd be squeezing our fingers into each other's throat. (We're laughing, by the way.) After 20+ years of living in this house we have accumulated an amazing amount of STUFF. So it is quite the task of sorting through all this stuff.

Since there is no way on earth the future ex-hubby can take all of his stuff with him when he moves out, we need to store it somewhere. Fortunately, we are blessed with an out building of considerable size. My hubby used it as his ceramics studio for years. Well, if you've ever been around ceramics you know it is lots and lots of dust. Due to the extreme daytime heat, we decided it is best to work on cleaning out the workshop at night. But the dust has clogged the light switches and we cannot turn them on.

So, I trooped over to the closest big box hardware store and made a bee-line for the electrical department. I find the light switches all right. Make note I said switches. Plural. There are at least 25 different switches on display. I am so lucky that a store employee strolled by and asked if I needed help. Yep, I sure did! Thanks to his incredible timing, I was out of the store and on my way home in about 10 minutes.

So that's where we are this morning. My list includes changing the light switches on the workshop, clipping a bunch of coupons and getting some groceries, sorting the mountain range of laundry, and working on some homework.

I am grateful that I have tomorrow off.