Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Pentel Rolling Writer: A Review

The Rolling Writer has been around for a long time. That’s a clue right there that this is a good pen. Pentel sent a purple pen in the first batch and a green one in the second.

From Pentel’s website:

The original and best-known roller ball pen! 0.8mm Cushion Ball Tip™ adjusts to user's writing style and produces 0.4mm medium lines at any angle without skipping or smearing. Smooth, expressive ink is ideal for notes and general writing. Barrel color indicates ink color. Nonrefillable. Stationary tip and fixed sleeve.

I must admit that when I tried the purple pen I was hugely disappointed. It required effort to write with it – even on the Rhodia paper. That’s not good for people like me with carpal tunnel issues. I knew that this pen would be tossed in the drawer and forgotten. But, when I tried the green pen, my faith was restored. THIS is the pen that I remember. It glides like silk across the paper. I guess the purple is just one of those flukes that happen now and then.

The Rolling Writer is not on the Pentel Recycology list nor is it refillable. For that reason alone, when these pens are used up I won’t be buying any more. However, since the green pen writes so beautifully, I will be rationing its use to try make it last as long as I can.

On a scale of 1 to 5 with 1 being “meh” and 5 being “awesome”, I’d have to give the Rolling Writers a 2.5. Points for being easy to write with and points away for being made out of new materials and nonrefillable.