Sunday, February 20, 2011

Negative Space: White on Black

After destroying two squares from my Zentangle Kit (a gift from Okami) by trying to tangle inside the heart, I decided to try it the other way around.  Working the negative space proved to be the ticket.
Valentine's Tangle for my hubby

For a change-up I painted a page in my Strathmore art journal with black gesso and using the pens mentioned below, I created another negative piece.  I'm not sure I like it as well, however, because you can see the strokes made with the pen more than you can with the black pen on white paper. 
Uniball Signo and Uniball Signo Angelic on black gesso
It was fun trying it out, though!  I have a couple more pages fully gesso'd and will be playing some more.  Then I think I'll borrow BiffyBean's technique of painting with black gesso on colored paper and then using the white gel pens over that.  See what I mean here.