Sunday, December 26, 2010

I am Sam. Sam I am.

And we have cooked Green Eggs & Ham!  (When my daughter was young, on Dr. Seuss' birthday, we made green scrambled eggs & ham steaks for our dinner that night.  It was great fun.)

So, now I stare at the major portion of a spiral cut ham and try to remember all the recipies I know that would take ham.
"Eternity is a ham and two people”  -- Irma Starkloff Rombauer (October 1877 - 1962)  the author of The Joy of Cooking.
I look at the index of my New York Times Cookbook and see only a handful of recipes.  All of which my family probably wouldn't like to begin with.  Next I go online and find tons of recipes - all variations of the same things.  How many different bean/lentil soups can one person tolerate anyway?  Or scalloped potatoes?  **sighs deeply** 

I can't freeze the ham as it was already frozen once.  So I guess we'll be having ham sandwiches, salads with ham, bean soup, scalloped potatoes, denver omlets, ham salad sandwiches, fried ham, diced ham, slivered ham, lentil soup, fried ham and potatoes, ... 


You see the pattern, right?