Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Be Careful What You Wish For

Okay, remember when I complained about the hot weather here in Phoenix? Well, it’s a case of “be careful what you wish for.” The Valley of the Sun was hit by some severe thunderstorms yesterday and several places, including my part of the city, had marble to golf ball-sized hail. Fortunately, there were no serious injuries, but there was plenty of damage.

At the height of the hail storm we accumulated drifts of the marble-sized stones in the back yard and the front yard looked like winter in Minnesota. The street flooded and water was standing up to my house. Yikes!

While neighbors all around lost large tree limbs, my trees kept the limbs but leaves were “pruned” and shredded. My large fig tree now resembles an ash tree. The big beautiful leaves are now down to the size of a quarter. The bougainvillea that shares a lot line with one of my neighbors is bare branches and a few sickly leaves. We also lost a section of our back fence. Again. (Guess what I’ll be doing this weekend. Ha-ha!)

On the walk to work this morning in the greatly cooled down air, I noticed several small trees in the mall parking lot were broken off and leaning. The sidewalks looked like a landscaping company trimmed the bushes and left the trimmings where they fell. One of the residential houses that I pass had their rock border slide down across the sidewalk.  I immediately pictured a bunch of little green plastic army men:
 


Sarge! Sarge, I’m slipping!
Hang on Private! We’ll get you. Alright men, form a line.   Men?  Men?  Aww, heck.  Hang on, I’m coming.



As we used to say in Minnesota, “I haven’t had this much fun since the pigs ate my little brother!”