Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Weirdness Resides Between These Ears

I don't know about any of you out there, but I feel haunted.  Even writing that sentence brings on even more of the same.  I'm haunted by wacky and funny (to me) thoughts and sometimes full scenes in my head.

Take for instance a situation I find myself in now.  I'm expecting a package in the mail.  It's from a pen & letter writing pal of mine.  It's a pen & some ink samples.  She mailed it last Monday and it seems to have disappeared off the USPS tracking radar.  Unfortunately she is stressing about it.  Me?
Deep under the cement and asphalt of Langley, Virginia in a darkened lab two bespectacled men stare at a white package sitting on a stool behind the 2 inch thick glass porthole in steel encased concrete chamber.  A lone beam of light shines down upon it.  Slowly, millimeter by millimeter, a robot hand reaches for the package.
"What do you think is inside, Horace?"
"I don't know Ralph.  Could be some sort of explosive device.  The x-rays weren't very clear."
"Could be, could be."  Horace shifts his weight to the other foot and wipes off the glass with a sleeve.  "Where did you say it came from?"
"Just outside of Tampa."
"Going to Phoenix, huh?"
"Yep."
"Someone doesn't like that immigration law, I'll bet."

And it just gets sillier from there.  *sigh*  I can't help it!

What I've learned from this "gift" is not to share.  Some people give me that glazed over stare while others shake their heads and walk away.  A few will glare at me with pressed lips. 

I don't have any sort of conclusion to this post.  Just had to share.