Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day Prayer

Dear Cosmic Universe and the Great All,

Please hear my prayer. 

Today is one tiny measly day out of many set aside to remember the greatest sacrifice a human being can give.  Yet all I can think of is a day off from work and what will I BBQ on the grill this evening.  How petty and small minded I feel.

Instead, let me remember those that made this day a necessity.  Let me remember why they chose to give their lives for their country.  So that I could have a day off to BBQ on the grill?  NO! 

They died so that I can enjoy the freedom of putting these words out to the world without worry of secret police arresting me and my family in the dead of night.  They died so that I can vote for the best person to represent me in the government and for the right to complain about them afterwards.  And much, much more.  They died so that I can live. 

So, it is with a heart full of gratitude to these men and women that I ask your blessings on their spirits and the families and friends they left behind.

Thank you!