Friday, May 7, 2010

Another Jewel in the Desert City

Okay, so maybe I should focus on what is GOOD about living in this city of Phoenix, Arizona. I hate the dirt, the traffic, the violence, the endless cement and asphalt and the way the big old shade trees are cut down and spindly “native” twigs are planted in their wake. Coming from the green farms of Minnesota, I find I complain about most everything here in the city. However, there are some advantages.


My hubby and I visited the Phoenix Art Museum during the free admission time of First Friday this evening. The City of Phoenix promotes the first Friday of every month as the night to celebrate local artists and their art. They have free shuttles and the Art Museum is open from 6 to 10 p.m. I’ve been anxiously waiting for my schedule to clear so that I could enjoy the Ansel Adams exhibit.


Some of the more striking aspects of this exhibit, in my opinion, are those photos that were taken in the late 1920s to late 1940s. My favorites are the old buildings that are now gone and roads paved over and buried under the wheels of the twenty-first century.



While he traveled the world and photographed most of the United States and its people, Ansel Adams bequeathed his wealth of photographs and negatives to the Center for Creative Photography at the University of Arizona in Tucson. How cool is that?

The exhibit is here until June 6th. There is free admission every Wednesday 3 to 9 p.m. (compliments of Salt River Project) and the last First Friday to view this exhibit is on June 4th. Please find time to see this wonderful exhibit.