Sunday, April 4, 2010

I'm a Green Inker!?!

Green happens to be my favorite color as you’ve probably guessed by the theme on this blog. So, it won’t surprise you that I recently purchased a bottle of Diamine Old English Emerald ink. I’d been searching for a shade of green that wouldn’t make my teeth grind by the second paragraph. Most greens I’ve used have tested out as a pretty shade but half way down the page my eyes crossed and I had to either change inks or squint until I was able to turn the page. My desk drawer is filled with green pens and my fountain pen drawer has several packages of green ink cartridges. Therefore, the hunt for the perfect green ink was on.

I sat down and Googled “green ink” and while the hits were not overwhelming, I encountered some interesting information. Green Ink Tees is a Colorado company that is using ecologically friendly inks to create interesting T-shirts, sweatshirts, and other clothing.  Green Inker blog does not exist any longer.

However, the most interesting one was listed towards the top. Good old Wikipedia came up with a full entry on “Green Ink.” It seems the term “green inker” is not a nice moniker to be labeled with according to British journalists. It refers to loony readers who, using green ink, either scrawl all over the paper and mail it back, or write bizarre letters to the editor. Then I ran across the Green Inker tattoo at SkinU the Tattoo Store  where you see a tattoo of a twisted ballpoint pen with green gas coming out of the top.

I stopped the search. Do I really want to be labeled as a crazy person just for writing with green ink? I set aside the whole thing for a while. Then, the other week I started again. I restated my search in Google to include “ink reviews” and was blessed by a hit from “Spiritual Evolution of the Bean” (one of my favorite blog sites) and lo and behold, there was a list of all the ink reviews she has done. After some browsing, I discovered my green. The good news is that I’ve been using it for a few days now and I’m pleased to say that I haven’t had any urges to write in to our local newspaper.