Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Test Before You Press "Send"

Sunday, a blogger friend of mine, Ricë at "Notes from the Voodoo Cafe" wrote another of her famous rants that I'd like to add to.    In her post "Holes in the Karma," Ricë told of a fellow blogger's encounter with a poison email comment to a blog post and not long afterwards, she herself received one.  Please read the post.  It is very well written.

My husband recently reminded me of some wise advice that he received from a friend long ago.  It's a self-test that everyone should consider.  It is three easy steps or gates, if you will, that if you can pass through them, feel free to hit that "send" button.
  1. Is it true?
  2. Is it necessary?
  3. Is it kind?
That simple.  But oh, oh, so incredibly hard to remember when we are pissed off or just plain emotional.  I'm not going to cast any stones because I don't always follow this advice either.  And you know what?  I usually get myself into hot water when I don't.

Something to think about, eh?