Saturday, October 10, 2009

"You have stayed too long."


"I know. But, I just can't..."

"Yes, you can." It sat down on the chair across from her and leaned close, "I know it's scary. New things are always scary." It sat back in the chair and seemed to sigh.

"What do you know about scary? You DO scary but do you feel scared?"

"Yes, sometimes. I feel scared when they bring psychics and mediums here. I feel scared when they carry new devices. I never know what will happen then."

"Why?"

"Because they might find a way to send me over."

"So? Aren't you supposed to go over?"

"That's hard to say. I stayed here and then it was too late to go over. My doorway closed."

"But if they opened a new doorway?"

"I don't know." It sighed again but this time it was tinged with aggravation. "This isn't about me. It's about you. You need to move on."

"You don't. Why should I?"

"Because you are still alive. You have a life ahead of you and that life is meant to experience things, see new places, meet new people."

She fell back on the bed, arms spread wide. "I'm just not ready, okay?"

"You can't sit here and talk to me all night."

"Why not? Where are you going?"

"Nowhere. Stop this arguing now. Get to bed and in the morning I want to see that suitcase packed and you waiting for the taxi." It softened its voice and added, "You can send me postcards, you know. I can flip them over and read them when the mailman drops them through the slot."

"I guess." She rolled over and then spun around to face it. "Okay, the real reason I don't want to go? I'm afraid that when I come back I won't be able to see you or talk to you or you'll just be gone." Her voice caught, "You are my best friend."

"And you are one of mine. I'll be here, never fear that. And I'll find a way to let you know that should the worst happen." It stood up and drifted to the wall. "Now, get some sleep. I'll see you before you go."