Monday, September 7, 2009

I'm Back!

It's been over a year since I stopped blogging. I can't tell you or myself why I did. Yeah, I made excuses. Mock reasons that sounded good at the time. Regardless, I've decided to write again.  NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is coming around again. I'm woefully out of practice. I didn't “finish” last year because I went in to it cold. This year, it has become vital for some reason that I cross that finish line so this is for practice as well as anything else.

Let me bring you up to speed on what's been going on in my life.

My hubby and I are in a holding pattern as far as our marriage. We are both trying somewhat. Neither of us is 100% sure of anything. And that encompasses the entire spectrum of our lives. We live with uncertainty as a constant. Oxymoron? Hell, yeah.

My big dog died on April 27, 2009. I'm still grieving. My little dog had a harder time. She wouldn't even go for walks until recently. What changed that is two things: Big dog's scent is gone and we had a cat move in with us. The cat has taken the edge off grief for the whole family. I think the Goddess sent the cat to us. It was way too perfect to be anything other than devine intervention.

My much-hated 1/2 time job may be ending by the end of the year. Please, everyone, cross your fingers and pray for me! It all hinges, believe it or not, on the Governor. Can't say any more than that. My much-loved 1/2 time job is going pretty well and I truly look forward to giving it the time it deserves - and needs. Even if I won't be a full-time employee, I will rejoice in the changes.

My fig tree situation is this: the shoots that came up from the burnt out stump have survived and thrived. I kept two to grow together. As you may recall, I hate perfection, especially in trees. Of the three "Sisters" only one remains. My well-intentioned brother-in-law came over to help the hubby on lawn maintenance and used a weed wacker with way too much enthusiasm. He didn't know that cutting the bark all around a tree was fatal. I gave the thriving replacement fig to a good friend who loves trees as much as I do. He found a good home for it. Now I have to decide what to do about the apricot tree that grew from its burnt stub. There were no blossoms this year. I have to make some sort of decision because it re-grew right smack dab next to the new fig tree. It's one or the other or I'll lose both.

I had a hysterectomy in March of this year. My doctor was fantastic. If you live in the Phoenix metro area and need a gynecologist recommendation, email me and I will tell you all about him. I won't be seeing him as my regular physician, however. I have a wonderful family physician that I spent way too many years trying to find to give her up. Because of previous bad experiences, I require a female doctor. (My gynecologist is a man only because I couldn't find a woman in this area. Go figure.)

The hubby has immersed himself in the local poetry scene. He is fantastically good. They all are. It amazes me that this has been existing in an almost parallel universe state and we didn't know about it. There are great poets in this town and I hope they don't remain in the shadows. The writing community is starting to bust out as well. Thanks especially to "Monsoon Voices" led by Traci and Patrick Moore. Google them if so inclined.

My daughter just started her 2nd year of college and in the second week was felled by the flu. Not swine, thank the Goddess, just regular. She's still coughing and congested but her high fever is gone. That was the scary part for me.

That about sums it up. Thanks for reading this far. Stand by for further posts.