Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Waiting Around

It’s 8:11 p.m. and I’m still at work. I've been here since 6 a.m. I’m waiting. Waiting for people to show up for scheduled interviews. I won’t go into details, as I’m not sure they should be “public.” Anyway, the interviews are ahead of schedule, the interviewees are not. So, I wait. Sigh.

I’ve got so much to do to get ready for my daughter’s graduation party. Mostly I need to clean my house as my mother is coming to stay for a couple of days and the house is the pits. We are not good stewards of our home. Dog hair floats in huge airy wads throughout, trash needs taking out, the kitchen floor and cupboards need washing… Arge! I’m starting to panic.

I was able to start rearranging the conference room where the party is located. It needs more tables and chairs, but I can’t do any more without disturbing the committee in the next room. The “next room” is actually the 3rd section of a long room I plan to have completely open and the band goes there. I want to leave room for dancing.

Every time I make a move to the patio area to see if the lights are working, I am interrupted – like just now in the middle of this sentence.

I worry too much. I worry about things that I have no control over and this is because I cannot control them and therefore – well, you get the idea. Okay. I know this. In my head, I know this. Why do I keep doing it?

Two more interviews before we are done. I wasn’t involved in the planning this year. Another item out of my control, yet I was more than glad to get rid of it. I guess sitting here isn’t so bad. I get overtime.