Thursday, May 29, 2008

The “Hub of Discord” – Part 2

“There is only one person who has conflicts with others. She has problems with four other people whose only real fault is that they make her work instead of letting her read her book or play computer games. That person, if removed, would solve 90% of the office tensions.” -- “Epilogue to the Staff Meeting,” posted April 20, 2008

Our “hub” is on vacation. It’s been so nice and peaceful. Then the phone rings today. It’s “hub” – she wants to talk to the boss. While she’s holding, she tells me that she was let go because of our huge budget crisis. I just about dropped the phone. Instead, I mumble something and transfer the call.

Later I get the details. She has her choice of working three more months or taking a three-month severance package. Apparently, she has decided to work it. We are in for whining, bitching, and anger in monumental doses. She will not let ANY opportunity slip by. Why did they give her a choice? And, by the way, I was told to keep it quiet. The minute she hits those doors on Monday, the world will know it.

Then there is another budgetary adjustment in process. Some specialty societies contract with my company for administrative support. I am one of the administrators. Their fees are being doubled and tripled. If we lose one or more of these customers, I will be next on the chopping block.

I don’t mind telling you that I am very nervous. I’m too old to start over again. The “hub” is 10 years older than I am. I feel like a donkey.