Wednesday, April 2, 2008

“I Would Like to Make an Exchange.”

I beg your pardon, Ma’am. What did you say?

I said I would like to make an exchange.

An exchange. Of what, exactly?

My life. I would like to exchange my life.

Ma’am, we can’t just exchange your life. It isn’t that easy.

Why not? You give people new lives all the time. I want one.

Yes, we do give new lives here at the Karma Kash and Karry, but that is to people who have, well, passed on, so to speak. You don’t seem to be...

Dead? No, not yet. Listen, can I speak to your supervisor? This is somewhat important, you see.

Yes, I’m sure it is. Unfortunately, Mr. Dharma is away at a conference.

Oh. I’ll wait.

Ma’am, you can’t wait. He’ll be away for some time.

That’s all right. I need a new life. I will wait.

Why do you need a new life, if I may ask?

Sure, you can ask. My life isn’t what I wanted. It isn’t what it was supposed to be.

For example?

Well, my marriage, for instance. I was supposed to be happy ever after. I’m not. We’re not. He wants a divorce and I’m not sure I don’t agree.

I see. Just the marriage?

Oh, no. There’s the lack of education. There’s the huge financial debt. There’s no retirement in my future and I just can’t face working until I die at my desk. That just doesn’t seem right to me. What do you think?

No, dying at your desk isn’t very desirable, I agree. But, think now, Ma’am, surely all this didn’t happen without you taking some part in the decisions. I’m sure you had to say yes to the marriage proposal.

Yes, I guess I did. But I didn’t realize what I was getting myself into, you see. There wasn’t full disclosure.

There never is, Ma’am. There never is.